Citrix / Terminal Server
Instructions on how to register pdfMachine are here.
Instructions on how an Administrator can register pdfMachine for another user are here.
How do I prevent pdfMachine putting an advertisement in the PDF files?
The demo of the latest version of pdfMachine places advertisements across the bottom of each page of
the PDF files it creates. Once a PDF has been saved with the advertisement it cannot be removed
using pdfMachine. To stop pdfMachine inserting the advertisement a license of pdfMachine office, pro
or ultimate must be
purchased and the software registered.
If you have already purchased a license, then you need to register the software.
If you have registered and are still getting the advertisement, then it could be either:
(1) You are using a function that your pdfMachine edition does not allow. e.g. if you use the pdfMachine parameter parsing feature which exists in the "pdfMachine ultimate" edition but you only have "pdfMachine office". In this case you must purchase an upgrade to the higher edition. You can compare the editions here.
(2) Your version protection has expired and you have installed a version you are not entitled to. In this case you could purchase a new version of pdfMachine office, pro or ultimate and keep using the latest version. Alternatively, you can uninstall pdfMachine and re-install an older version for which you are eligible. Older versions can be obtained from the bottom of the download page. Older versions are not supported.
Why am I getting the "Too Many Users" error when I register with my key?
pdfMachine is licensed per user where the user is identified by the Windows user name. The same
Windows user can use the license on up to 5 devices. If you attempt to register more users than the
license allows you will get the "Too Many Users" error.
On the Registration tab of pdfMachine options the Register button will show the name of the Windows user. The License Details button.
Why do I get the NoProductFound message when registering?
The "No Products Found" message indicates that you have entered a key which requires pdfMachine to already have an existing key, eg a Version Protection key needs an existing pdfMachine office, pro or ultimate. An upgrade office to ultimate key needs an existing pdfMachine office. To use either a Version Protection key or an Upgrade key you need to first register with the key it is to apply to.
Why do I get the "This code did not change your license" message when registering?
This indicates that the code you are entering does not change the licensing for pdfMachine. Examples of why this occurs are
- You are in pdfMachine white or demo mode. The license you are registering does not increase the version protection enough to change pdfMachine from white or demo. You can enter additional version protection keys to extend the licence expiry date.
- pdfMachine is already registered and you are registering it with a license that does not change the outcome (eg it is pdfMachine office and you register with another pdfMachine office key).
How do I fix the "getTempBrowser CopyFile()" error when printing from IE?
The message can sometimes occur when printing from Internet Explorer in protected mode.
Make sure the pdfMachine toolbar is installed and enabled in Internet Explorer.
Make sure you use the pdfMachine toolbar icon in Internet Explorer to initiate the print to PDF. That way you should not get the error message.
The pdfMachine toolbar does several things, one is to workaround the problem you are getting. The other main thing it does is convert HTML hyerlinks into PDF hyperlinks.
If my machine is dead/replaced/upgraded can I install pdfMachine on a new machine and reuse the same license code?
You can use the same license code on up to five devices as long as you are using the same user account (ie the same Windows user name) that it was initially registered under.
Does my license expire?
Your pdfMachine license does not expire. However the version protection associated with the license does expire. Each license has a period of version protection. The license is valid for use with versions of pdfMachine released during the version protection period. You can see the release dates here.When your version protection expires, your current pdfMachine version will keep on working - however you will not be entitled to install new versions and use them in non demo mode.
Information about version protection and what to do when it expires is here.
Instructions to find your version protection expiry date are here.
How is pdfMachine licensed with Terminal Server or when sharing the printer on a network?
Since pdfMachine 14.61, pdfMachine is licensed per user.
You can now install pdfMachine under your own user account (ie the same Windows user name) on up to 5 different machines. This should cover your main desktop, laptop and then some!
Note: Versions prior to 14.61 are licensed per machine, i.e. each machine involved (servers and
Citrix / RDP clients), no matter how thin the client, would need a license.
Click here for information about installing on Terminal Server.
Click here for information about installing as a shared printer.
Instructions on how to customize the pdfMachine installation are here.
What is point and print(shared printing) installation?
pdfMachine can also be installed by connecting to a network printer, typically from a "regular" user account. Unlike a stand-alone install that requires an Administrator account. Point and print install makes upgrading to a newer version a breeze, as pdfMachine auto detects when an upgrade is required at logon and asks the user if they want to proceed. More - click here
Error 3019 occurs when installing older versions of pdfMachine
The Windows update MS16-087 (delivered in KB 317005, KB 3172985 and KB 3170455) prevents versions of pdfMachine older than version 14.91 from installing. You must either install version 14.91 or greater, or uninstall that Windows update while installing versions of pdfMachine older than version 14.91. We recommend using the latest version of pdfMachine."
pdfMachine is stuck while checking for previous versions. What can I do?
This happens if the registry has a problem.
First try the manual uninstall procedure.
Then try changing the registry permissions for your installing user, taking ownership for the keys : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\pdfMachine HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\PDF Port Monitor HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Printers\BroadGun pdfMachine
How can I uninstall pdfMachine manually?
Exit all applications you are not using.
1. Run bgssetup.exe -uninstall
e.g. from the start menu button, select run, then type:
On 32 bit systems:
On 64 bit systems:
2. You may need to change the above path to match your system. If this works, you have successfully uninstalled.
Otherwise try; (be careful, don't go editing the registry unless you know what you are doing...)
1. Start a command line session e.g cmd.exe
2. Type "net stop spooler"
3. Type "regedit"
4. From within regedit - delete the following registry keys (and all subkeys):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\PDF Port Monitor
5. From the command line, type "net start spooler"
6. Re-attempt the install.
Instructions on how to create an installer for users without administrative privileges are here.
Instructions on how to create an unattended installer for users without administrative privileges are here.
I have a version of pdfMachine earlier than 12.02 and wish to install the latest version of pdfMachine, what will happen?
If your 'upgrade protection' has expired, you must purchase pdfMachine office, pro or ultimate to use the new version in non demo mode. If you have current 'upgrade and version protection'; for your earlier version of pdfMachine, you are eligible for the new release without purchasing - just download and install it 'over the top' of your existing installation.
Citrix / Terminal Server
How do I install pdfMachine on Citrix or Remote desktop / Terminal Server?
Here are some notes on terminal server installation that may help:
Click here for licensing information.
(1) Do use the pdfMachine.exe download file to install.
(2) Don't use the control panel add/remove programs to install.
(3) Don't use the command: "change user /install"
If you do either of (2) or (3) above terminal server creates
"shadow registry" entries which will overwrite valid
pdfMachine registry entries. If this is done, you need to uninstall pdfMachine then manually remove
any shadow registry entries from the registry. They are usually located under the registry key:
Once this is done, reboot, then install pdfMachine by running the pdfMachine.exe program under an admin account.
The process bgsmsnd.exe must be running at user logon time. Each user will have a copy running. If you publish applications via terminal server then make sure that you add a line to the logon script that executes bgsmsnd.exe, which is located in the printer driver directory, typically: C:\Windows\System32\spool\
The first time a user logs on after pdfMachine is installed, registry entries for all pdfMachine options are created in:
These are created using sensible defaults and values saved in the
"bgsconf.ini" file. Bgsconf.ini is located in the printer driver
directory (e.g. C:\Windows\System32\spool\
Note for Windows 7 users:
Please make sure you are using version 13.098 or later.
In the advanced options for the pdfMachine printer set the following option : "Print Directly to the printer"
If you publish applications via citrix or terminal server then
make sure that you add a line to the logon script that executes bgsmsnd.exe,
which is located in the printer driver directory, typically:
In the event of a loss of connection or the user kills the app, bgsmsnd.exe will still be running. On citrix, this can be handled by setting a registry entry, as described:
Note the registry key:
You can also set the maximum amount of time that a disconnected user session is kept active:
When using Citrix / Windows Terminal Server / Remote sessions, can I initiate a pdfMachine print and have the client side send email / save / view ?
NOTE: This setup is only necessary if you don't want the default behaviour where
the server side sends email / saves / views.
This requires some manual setup.
Server machine setup:
Setup pdfMachine to print to a pdf file and update a text file in directory(s) on the server.
1. Install pdfMachine
2. On the "Next Action tab", set the "Next Action" to "execute command line" and the "Command Line" to:
cscript.exe c:\touchx.js "%s"
NOTE : See the following FAQ about batch files in "Next Action".
3. Create a script file (e.g. C:\touchx.js) which updates a file (e.g. c:\tmp\x.txt) in a server directory that clients can access. e.g.
fn = WScript.arguments(0); fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject"); fso.CopyFile(fn, "c:\tmp\x.pdf", true); f = fso.CreateTextFile("c:\tmp\x.txt", true); f.Close()
4. Now when a print is done on the server machine, no user interface is presented, the pdf file c:\tmp\x.pdf is generated, and then the file c:\tmp\x.txt is updated.
Client side setup:
Setup pdfMachine to check the server file periodically. The client side must have a drive mapped which allows access to the directory that the server puts the files into (e.g. x.pdf and x.txt above).
1. Install pdfMachine
2. On the general tab, set "Save Filename action" to "Use the default dir and default save filename" and set the "default directory" and "default filename" to the client side mapping of the path required to access the pdf file (e.g. x.pdf above) on the server.
3. Create a new registry string value called "checkfile" under the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\pdfMachine\Broadgun pdfMachine". The last part of the path is the printer name which in this example is the default printer name Broadgun pdfMachine. Set the string registry value to the client side filepath mapping required to access the file on the server. (e.g. \\server\c\x.txt)
4. Either reboot the client PC or stop and restart bgsmsnd.exe (bgsmsnd.exe is usually in c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\32x86\3)
Now when the server file c:\tmp\x.txt is updated, the client bgsmsnd.exe notices
(the checkfile registry val does this) and will load the pdf file on the client.
NOTE: You can choose to have the file automatically emailed by the client by setting the client option "Next Action" to "Launch default email client". If you want encryption with this option, enable it on the server, not the client.
How do I get Citrix "Published Applications" to work?
If you are using are using the "published application" feature of Citrix there are a few
things you have to do to get pdfMachine to work.
You need to configure a start-up script or something that launches bgsmsnd.exe before the published app starts. Also, you will need to then configure your Citrix session to kill bgsmsnd.exe upon exit, otherwise it will hang around. You can do this by running bgsmsnd.exe again with the command line option -exit. e.g. bgsmsnd.exe -exit
bgsmsnd.exe is a pdfMachine background process that must be running under the same account as the application that is doing the printing. It is started at install and logon time. It is usually located :
How do I get rid of the error "You do not have sufficient access to your machine to connect to the selected printer."?
When you are logged into a Terminal Server and you connect to a shared printer that
is running on another machine the error "You do not have sufficient access
to your machine to connect to the selected printer" may be displayed. This
is because the "Prevent users from installing printer drivers" option
is enabled by default in the local security settings.
On the server running Terminal Services:
(1) Click Start, point to Programs, click Administrative
and then double-click Local Security Policy.
(2) Double-click Local Policies.
(3) Double-click Security Options.
(4) In the right pane, double-click Prevent users from installing printer drivers.
(5) Click Disabled, and then click OK.
(6) Close the Local Security Settings window.
It may then be necessary to reboot the server or to force an immediate policy refresh for the change to take effect.
Where is the pdfMachine addin within Internet Explorer?
You must have at least Internet Explorer 5.5 installed for the pdfMachine add-on to work. If you haven't, please upgrade to the latest version of IE then reinstall pdfMachine. Sometimes, after installation, the pdfMachine toolbar is hidden. To make it visible, from the IE menu, select the View->Toolbar menu option. Make sure the pdfMachine toolbar is ticked. Depending on how you have setup your environment, you may need to go into your Internet explorer "Internet Options", select Programs and then "Manage add-ons". Make sure that the pdfMachine add-on is enabled.
Why can't I see the pdfMachine addin in Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook?
Some things for you to check. The following is written for MS Word, but is applicable for the other
MS Office apps:
1. The minimum version of Office required is Office 2003.
2. When you installed did you make sure all programs were closed?
3. When you installed on the first setup dialog, was the "Install MS Office addins" checkbox ticked?
4. Word has a few settings you need to adjust to allow add-ins. Microsoft describes some of the steps you need to take to see your Office Add-Ins here. This may vary depending on the version of Word you have.
You may need to reboot and reinstall pdfMachine with no other programs open.
How do I send images in the body of my email
There is no sure-fire method to make sure images in emails are displayed to the end user as part of the email body (this is true irrespective of whether they come from pdfMachine, pdfMachine merge or from another application). Email clients - both yours and the recipients can block the emails and images along the way. There is a lot of information about this available on the web, including this site here. Note, this is not a Broadgun Software website. It does have a good explanation about sending images in emails.
The methods to put an image in the body of your email using pdfMachine are:
(1) Make the image publicly accessible on the internet. You can either use the image button on the email editor to insert the url for your image or you can edit the html of the email body in the pdfMachine Merge Profile by clicking the SOURCE button.
(2) Insert a base64 encoded image. You can do this by pasting into the editor or by using HTML in SOURCE mode. How (and whether) this is received is dependent on both your send method and the email client of the recipient. Many, including Outlook, block it. For example if your send method is Outlook the image will be replaced by a box with a cross in it.
(3) Send the image (embedding) as an attachment instead of putting it in the body.
How do I get pdfMachine to call Lotus Notes?
Make Lotus Notes the default MAPI provider. This will call pdfMachine when the send button is
1. Open Internet Explorer, go to the toolbar and select "tools", then "internet options", then the "Programs" tab.
2. In the Internet Programs group, at the E-mail: heading, select Lotus Notes which explains that the Outlook application has to be installed before Lotus Notes can be used for MAPI.
Refer to http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/lotusnotes.htm#install
How do I set the default MAPI Email Client?
pdfMachine uses the default MAPI client for email. To set the default MAPI client:
1. Open Internet Explorer, go to the toolbar and select "tools', then "internet options", then the "Programs" tab.
2. In the Internet Programs group, at the E-mail: heading, select your desired email client.
How do I get rid of "Com Error (0x800A1018)" during a pdfMachine Word Mail Merge?
This occurs in some versions of Word if there are no username or initial specified in the Word
The solution is to start Word, select Word options, and enter a user name and initial.
Why don't my Emails have my default Outlook font?
If you are using Outlook as your Email Send Method and your emails are being sent with a different
font than the default you have set up within Outlook this is due to an existing issue with Outlook.
To work around it you need to fix it from within Microsoft Word:
(1) Open Word
(2) Go to Options -> Advanced -> Web Options
(3) Change the default font in the Fonts tab"
The differences between the pdfMachine editions can be seen here.
Why does my PDF open outside of the pdfMachine window?
If you are opening a PDF or printing to pdfMachine and the PDF is displaying in a standalone Adobe Reader window rather than inside the pdfMachine window then there could be one of two things happening:
(1) You may have your Next Action set to "Launch Default PDF Viewer". If Adobe Reader is your default viewer then the PDF will be displayed in Adobe Reader. If you want it to display inside pdfMachine then change your next action to be "Launch pdfMachine Viewer".
(2) Adobe Reader may have been configured on your PC to open outside the browser. You will need to first enable the Adobe Reader add-on in Internet Explorer. Adobe has a link that tells you how to set it up if you have Adobe Reader XI here. You may also need to change the Adobe Reader Preferences and enable the "Display PDF in Browser" option on the Internet menu item. Some users find it necessary to perform a settings reset in IE to resolve this issue [Tools > Options > Advanced > Reset].
How do I stop pdfMachine offering to email PDFs which cannot be opened?
When pdfMachine is unable to open a PDF a message is displayed offering the user to email it to Broadgun Software for analysis.
If you do not want this message to appear you can modify the registry entry:
Set it to 0 to prevent the dialog displaying, or to 1 to allow pdfMachine to display the dialog.
How do I make pdfMachine open PDFs by default from Explorer?
To set up pdfMachine as an option for Windows to open PDF files do the following:
(1) Open Windows Explorer and browse to a PDF file
(2) Right-click on the file and select the "Open With" option. Select Choose default program...
(3) Check the "Use this app for all pdf files"
(4) Select More Options and then Search for another app on this PC
(5) Browse to the pdfMachine executable bgsview.exe. On Windows 8 the path is "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3\bgsview.exe". If you cannot find it you can always look at the properties of the pdfMachine icon in the start menu to find the location.
(6) Select Open
How do I get rid of the pop up message telling me that there is a new version of pdfMachine available?
In the pdfMachine options, on the General tab there is a check-box "Weekly online check for new version". If you remove the check from this box you won't be prompted when a new version of pdfMachine is available.
How do I create a custom page size?
Go to Control Panel
- Administrative Tools
- Print Management
- Printer Servers
- [computer name]
- Forms, Click on "Action menu | Manage Forms "
I am having trouble converting a Table of Contents in Word to PDF so that all the hyperlinks work.
Make sure you are using the pdfMachine office add-in from within Word to create the PDF.
Make sure you have set the TOC in Word to create hyperlinks. To do this Edit the TOC field within Word. Update the advanced field options for "Table of Contents". Set Word to use hyperlinks instead of page numbers.
How can I run a batch file in "Next Action" command line?
To specify a batch file or script to execute upon PDF generation, bring up the pdfMachine options and select 'Next Action/ Email' then set 'Next Action' to 'Execute command line'.
New limitations in Windows have made it so that batch files will only run if you pipe the output to
For example, you can set the command line to "cmd /c c:\YourName.bat %s > c:\YourNameOut.txt".
The %s is substituted with the name of the pdf file produced, and any output from your batch file is sent to c:\YourNameOut.txt.
Alternatively, you can run other executables, including cscript.exe as shown in this cscript "Next Action" example.
How do I scan to PDF?
You can scan your hardcopy documents directly to PDF files using the pdfScanMachine
utility program. It works with any TWAIN compliant scanner.
From the pdfMachine Viewer you can then use optical character recognition (OCR) to convert the scanned PDFs into searchable text that is stored invisibly with the PDF when saved. This allows readers of the PDF to search the PDF for the text, and also to copy and paste the converted text. This can be done by using The "Tools->Run OCR" command from either the Viewer or Edit window.